Request a Fitness Determination
Before you apply for a license, you can request that the Commission determine whether your fitness meets TREC’s qualifications for honesty, trustworthiness, and integrity.
Who should request a Fitness Determination (FD)?
If you have any criminal offenses, unpaid judgments, had discipline taken against a professional or occupational license, or have performed unlicensed activity you should considering requesting an FD. The FD process is significantly cheaper than paying for an application, examination, and education necessary to receive a license.
Helpful tips for requesting an FD:
- Be sure to completely fill out the FD Form.
- Fill out a Background History Form.Be sure to completely fill out the form and provide all of the required documents.
- Disclose everything.TREC’s determination is based only on the information provided with the request.We do not perform a full background check on FDs. If you have a criminal background, you should disclose all misdemeanor and felonies even if they are old offenses.You should also disclose all criminal offenses where you were placed on parole, probation, or community supervision (also known as deferred adjudication) even if the case was later dismissed.
- Do not request an FD if you do not have any criminal offenses, unpaid judgments, had discipline taken against a professional or occupational license, and have not performed unlicensed activity.
- Do not request an FD at the same time you submit an application or if you have a pending application with TREC.