Become a Real Estate Sales Agent
A sales agent is a person who is licensed by the Real Estate Commission to act as an agent on behalf of a real estate broker and their clients. A sales agent must be sponsored by a licensed Broker in order to perform any act of real estate services.
You have one year from the date your application is filed to meet all license requirements. Once you have met all the requirements to get your license, including finding a broker sponsorship, TREC will send an active sales agent license to your broker and to you via email!
Requirements for a License
- Citizen of the United States or lawfully admitted alien
- 18 years of age or older
- Meet TREC’s qualifications for honesty, trustworthiness, and integrity
- Consider requesting a Fitness Determination before applying for the license
Steps for Filing Your Application
File Your Application
*Remember to track the status of your application using the Application Status Tracker.
Apply by Mail
- Get Your Fingerprints Taken and Pass Your Background Check
You are required by law to have fingerprints on file with the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) so a background check can be performed. Fingerprints on file for other agencies will not be accepted.
A license will not issue if the background check has not been passed. Expect a delay if you are notified of an investigation into your background history.
- Complete Your Qualifying Education
180 classroom hours of the following qualifying real estate courses:
- Principles of Real Estate I (30 classroom hours)
- Principles of Real Estate II (30 classroom hours)
- Law of Agency (30 classroom hours)
- Law of Contracts (30 classroom hours)
- Promulgated Contract Forms (30 classroom hours)
- Real Estate Finance (30 classroom hours)
Find a qualifying education provider. Education course completion documents must be submitted to TREC after applying online or with your paper application. After completing your course work, you are welcome to submit a course and instructor evaluation.
Take the Exam
License exams are administered by PearsonVUE, a testing service company.
You will be sent a notice with instructions for scheduling the exam and obtaining a copy of the exam Candidate Handbook.
If you fail the exam three times, additional education will be necessary.
Find a Sponsor
After meeting the above requirements, you will be issued an inactive license. You need to be sponsored by an active Texas licensed broker to work. You can complete a sponsorship request using our online services. Once the broker has accepted your request, your active license will be issued, and you can work as a Sales Agent!