Renew Your Inspector License
All inspectors licensed by TREC, including Apprentice Inspectors, Real Estate Inspectors, and Professional Inspectors, must renew their license every two years. TREC will send you a renewal notice about 90 days before your license expiration date. Until you receive this notice of renewal, you cannot renew your license. As part of the renewal process, you must satisfy all requirements for renewal and complete certain continuing education (CE) courses to help you perform competent and quality real estate inspections. After completing your course work, you are welcome to submit a course and instructor evaluation.
You may renew your inspector license up to six months after the expiration date. After six months, you will have to reapply for an initial inspector license. After two years past the expiration date, you will have to reapply and pass the examination.
Active inspector license renewal requirements
- Complete 32 hours of inspector CE, including the 8-Hour Inspector Legal & Ethics and SOP Review course . All inspector CE courses must be completed during your current license period.
- An inspector is not eligible to receive more than 16 hours continuing education credit for any one single subject.
- Provide current proof of financial responsibility that provides coverage for violations of Texas Occupations Code, Chapter 1102, Subchapter G ($100,000 per occurrence) using the TREC Certificate of Insurance Form or the Proof of Financial Responsibility Form.
- Apprentice Inspectors and Real Estate Inspectors must be sponsored by a Professional Inspector. Find a Professional Inspector qualified to sponsor you.
Inactive inspector license renewal requirements
You may renew your inspector license on inactive status without completing inspector CE courses or providing proof of financial responsibility. You cannot perform inspections with an inactive license.
- Renew your inspector license online using our Online Services. If you have not renewed online before, you may need to register first.
- Submit current proof of financial responsibility at least 10 days before your expiration date, to ensure time for processing.
- Pay your renewal fee using Online Services no later than the expiration date of your license.
Renew by Mail:
- Submit a completed Renewal Form for Inspector License.
- Include current proof of financial responsibility at least 10 days before your expiration date, to ensure time for processing.
- Include payment of the renewal fee.