Become an Individual Real Estate Broker
A Licensed Real Estate Broker is a person who provides real estate services to another person in exchange for a commission. Brokers can also sponsor and supervise real estate sales agents.
You have one year from the date your application is filed to meet all license requirements. Once you have met all the requirements to get your license, TREC will send an active broker license to you via email.
- Citizen of the United States or lawfully admitted alien
- 18 years of age or older
- Resident of Texas, unless you:
- were licensed in Texas as a sales agent or broker in the last two years; or
- are licensed as a broker in another state
- Meet TREC’s qualifications for honesty, trustworthiness, and integrity
- Consider requesting a Moral Character Determination before applying for the license
Becoming a Real Estate Broker
Complete Your Qualifying Education
270 classroom hours of qualifying real estate courses, including the following mandatory courses:
- Principles of Real Estate I (30 classroom hours)
- Principles of Real Estate II (30 classroom hours)
- Law of Agency (30 classroom hours)
- Law of Contracts (30 classroom hours)
- Promulgated Contracts Forms (30 classroom hours)
- Real Estate Finance (30 classroom hours)
- Real Estate Brokerage (30 classroom hours)
The Real Estate Brokerage course must be completed not more than two years before the application date.
An additional 630 classroom hours in related qualifying courses acceptable to the Commission or approved Continuing Education (CE) courses. A bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited college or university satisfies all of the related education requirements for a broker license. A copy of the college transcript awarding the degree must be submitted as evidence of completion of the degree.
Education course completion documents must be submitted to TREC after applying online or with your paper application.
Meet the Experience Requirements
Candidates for a broker license must also meet the following experience requirements:
- Have at least four years’ active experience as a licensed real estate sales agent or broker during the 60-month period preceding the filing of the application
- Your experience must total 3600 points and be reported on the Qualifying Experience Report for a Broker License. You must also include a transaction identification list for each transaction claimed on the experience report.
File your Application
Submit your application and fee to become a Broker using our Online Services. If you don’t already have a username and password for our Online Services, register now. If you have registered online with TALCB or TREC in the past, log in now.
Apply by Mail
Get your Fingerprints Taken and Pass Your Background Check
You are required by law to have fingerprints on file with the Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) so a background check can be performed. Fingerprints on file for other agencies will not be accepted.
A license will not issue if the background check has not been passed. Expect a delay if you are notified of an investigation into your background history.
Take the Exam
License exams are administered by PearsonVUE, a testing service company.
You will be sent a notice with instructions for scheduling the exam and obtaining a copy of the exam Candidate Handbook.
If you fail the exam three times, additional education will be necessary.