Skip to Content

TREC values our active and veteran military service members and their families. We know the process of becoming licensed can be overwhelming. In addition to the state veterans portal available for all veterans, we have created this page to explain benefits we offer to veterans, service members and spouses applying for a license as a real estate professional in the state of Texas.  

We have procedures in place to expedite and assist you in applying for a license with TREC if you are a military service member, veteran or spouse, and you either:

  • hold a current license in another state or jurisdiction that has substantially equivalent licensing requirements for the same license type in Texas; or
  • have held the license you are applying for in Texas within the last five years.

How to Apply for a License

  1. Go to the page for the type of license you want and read the qualifications and requirements for that license. 
  2. Complete an application for the type of license you want
  3. Fill out and attach the Supplemental Form for Military Service Members, Military Veterans, and Military Spouses to your license application
  4. You must comply with fingerprinting requirements and satisfy the Commission as to your honesty, trustworthiness and integrity.
  5. You must take and pass a written examination.  License examinations are administered by Pearson VUE, a testing service company.  Exams are offered on military bases for active and retired military, dependents and contractors.

Credit for Military Experience.

If you are a service member or veteran you may request to have your military education, training, or experience evaluated for credit toward the requirements for a license. 

Waiving fees.

We will waive the base application and examination fees if:

  • your military service, training, or education substantially meets the requirements for a license; or
  • you hold a current license issued by another jurisdiction whose licensing requirements are equivalent to the requirements for this license in Texas.

Other Ways TREC Can Help Military Service Members, Veterans, and Military Spouses: 

  • Your license will issue on an expedited basis if you hold a current certificate or license issued somewhere other than Texas, keeping in mind that the licensing requirements must be substantially equivalent.
    • Texas residents who enter military service and resume their Texas residence immediately upon separation from the military have not lost their Texas residency unless they have established legal residence elsewhere.
    • TREC may be able to issue a license to an applicant who holds a license in Texas within the five years preceding the filing of the application
    • TREC can allow an applicant to demonstrate competency by alternative methods to meet the requirements for obtaining a license. 
      • The standard method of demonstrating competency is the specific examination, education and/or experience required to obtain a particular license.
    • If you are on active duty during your renewal period and currently hold a license, you are entitled to two years of additional time to complete:
      • any continuing education requirements; and
      • any other requirement related to the renewal of the military service member’s license.

    Still Can't Find What You Need? Here Are Some Other Helpful Resources: 

    Texas Veterans Portal

    Related Regulatory and Consumer Protection Groups

    Consumer Information 

    Home Buyer and Seller Resources

    Veteran Home Loans - Information about home loans for veterans from TSAHC

    Just for Veterans - Texas Workforce Commission Information 

    Texas Skills to Work - Use your military skills for civilian work experience 

    National Resource Directory