TREC wants to clear up any confusion about the recently adopted amendments regarding unescorted access to vacant rental property in TREC Rule 535.4.
Here are some key points to understand:
- Allowing unescorted access is not mandatory and an owner or property manager does not have to allow it. This purely voluntary practice was requested by experienced managers.
- This only applies to vacant property offered for lease and not residential “for sale” listings.
- The property owner must give written permission authorizing the property manager to allow controlled unescorted access by identified parties to vacant lease property.
- That same written permission must indicate who will be responsible for any damages to the property due to the unescorted access.
- Who is responsible for damages is a negotiable item between the property manager and the property owner.