New inspector pre-licensing education and experience requirements begin March 1, 2021. The new experience requirement includes a 40 hour Texas Practicum, which must consist of a minimum of five complete and in-person inspections. In light of the current COVID-19 pandemic, TREC will grant a temporary allowance for on-site inspections to take place virtually, as long as the Practicum instructor conducts inspections live and on-site, and the instructor and students are able to interact with each other in real-time through both audio and video.
PLEASE NOTE: The use of pre-recorded video inspection does not meet the requirements for a virtual Practicum.
When offering a virtual Practicum, the following protocols must be followed:
- The Practicum instructor must conduct inspections live and on-site;
- Students must be able to see and hear the instructor and see the instructor’s live feed at all times;
- The instructor and students must be able to communicate with each other through audio and video in real-time;
- Instructors must ensure student participation throughout the entirety of each Practicum inspection through the use of live audio and video;
- No more than four students participate in each Practicum inspection; and
- Inspectors must follow recommended safety protocols during property inspections.
If you have any questions about offering or conducting a virtual Practicum, please contact us at 512-936-3120 or firstname.lastname@example.org.