In light of the current COVID-19 pandemic, TREC understands that some inspector applicants may find it challenging to complete the in-person ride-along course required for licensure. For that reason, TREC has granted a temporary allowance to the on-site ride-along course requirement and will permit ride-along course sessions to take place virtually, so long as ride-along instructor conducts inspections live and on-site, and the instructor and the students are able to interact with each other in real-time through both audio and video.
TREC has established specific protocols to ensure that the intent and purpose of in-person ride-along training is not compromised when a virtual ride-along course is offered.
PLEASE NOTE: The Use of a pre-recorded video inspection does not meet the requirements for a virtual ride-along course and will not be approved for use by TREC. Students completing a virtual ride-along course will not be granted credit unless the course session complies with the protocols listed below.
When offering a virtual ride-along course, these protocols must be followed:
- The ride-along instructor must conduct inspections live and on-site;
- Students must be able to see and hear the instructor and the see instructor’s live feed at all times;
- The instructor and students must be able to communicate through audio and video in real-time with each other;
- Instructors must ensure student participation throughout the entirety of the ride-along inspection through the use of live audio and video;
- No more than four students participate in a single inspection session; and
- Inspectors must follow recommended safety protocols during property inspections.
If you have any questions about these protocols, or whether your proposed virtual ride-along course meets these requirements, please contact us at 512-936-3120 or email@example.com.
TREC continues to monitor and assess the impact COVID-19 may have on all aspects of agency operations. Please continue to check the website for all the latest information on the agency’s response to COVID-19.