Skip to Content

License Holder Search

Meeting Details

07/15/2019 at 10:00 am
Stephen F. Austin Building, Room 400a
1700 North Congress
Austin, TX 78701

Meeting Materials

Meeting Video

TREC Inspector Committee


The meeting agenda and any meeting materials can be found under 'Meeting Materials' on the right side of this page. These minutes set out the agenda item, the subject matter discussed, and any action taken on each item. To hear the full discussion on any agenda item, click on the link, and you will be taken directly to that section of the meeting video on the right side of the screen.

Note: While the written portion of the minutes below are published in agenda order, the items may have been presented in a different order.

Agenda Item 1 Call to order & roll call

ACTION: The meeting was called to order at 10:20 a.m. All members were present in person or via teleconference.

Agenda Item 2 Discussion and possible action to excuse Committee member's absence(s), if any.

No action taken.

Agenda Item 3 Ratification of the minutes of the April 15, 2019 meeting.

ACTION: Steven Rinehart, duly seconded by Shawn Emmerick, moved that the committee approve the minutes of the April 15, 2019, meeting.  

Agenda Item 4 General comments from visitors on non-agenda items.

No comments were given.

Agenda Item 5 Reports from Subcommittees:
a. Education Subcommittee
b. Standards of Practice Subcommittee
c. Enforcement Subcommittee

ACTION: Reports given by the following:
Agenda Item 5.a: Steven Rinehart, Chair of the subcommittee
Agenda Item 5.b.: Doyle Williamson, Chair of the subcommittee
Agenda Item 5.c. No report was given.

Agenda Item 6 Staff Reports:
a. Administration & Management Services (AMS)
b. Standards & Enforcement Services (SES)
c. Education & Examination Services (ERS)
d. Licensing & Registration Services (LRS)

ACTION: Reports given by the following:
Agenda Item 6.a.: Tony Slagle, Deputy Executive Director
Agenda Item 6.b.: Michael Molloy, Staff Attorney, Standards & Enforcement Services
Agenda Item 6.c.: Jennifer Wheeler, Director of Education & Examination Services
Agenda Item 6.d.: Denise Sample, Director of Licensing & Registration Services

Agenda Item 7 Discussion and possible action regarding contractual limitation of liability

Comments:
Norman Rozell

Stan Harbuck

Greg House, Association of Texas Real Estate Inspectors

Randal Needham

Shannon Gatewood

ACTION: The committee decided by consensus to add language to the TREC No. CN 1-2, Consumer Protection Notice and staff will draft a mock-up of the form with the added language to present at the October 2019 Inspector Committee meeting.

Agenda Item 8 Discussion and possible action regarding proposed amendments to 22 TAC §535.208, Applications for Licensure

Comment:

Shannon Gatewood

ACTION: Shawn Emmerick, duly seconded by Doyle Williamson, moved to recommend that the amendments be considered by the full Commission for proposal at the August 2019 Commission meeting for publication and public comment. The motion was adopted by unanimous vote.

Agenda Item 9 Discussion and possible action regarding proposed amendments to 22 TAC §535.206, The Texas Real Estate Inspector Committee

No action taken.

Agenda Item 10 Discussion and possible action regarding inspector pre-licensing education requirements to ensure the content aligns with the inspector licensing exam subject matter in accordance with the Sunset Commission’s management directive 2.6, including:
a.   proposed amendments to 22 TAC 535.209, Examinations;
b.   proposed amendments 22 TAC 535.212, Education and Experience Requirements for a License; and
c.   proposed amendments 22 TAC 535.213, Qualifying Real Estate Inspector Instructors and Courses.
d.   proposed amendments 22 TAC §535.218, Continuing Education Required for Renewal
e.   the process for allowing the national and state portion of the inspector exam to be taken separately; and
f.    the timeline for implantation the new education and licensing requirements;

Comments:

Stan Harbuck

Roy Carter

ACTION: Steven Rinehart, duly seconded by Doyle Williamson, moved to recommend Agenda Items a. through c. be considered by the full Commission for withdrawal and re-proposal at the August 2019 Commission meeting for publication and public comment.  The motion was adopted by unanimous vote.

ACTION: Mike Morgan, duly seconded by Steven Rinehart, moved to recommend Agenda Item 10.d. be considered by the full Commission for adoption, with the changes discussed, at the August 2019 Commission meeting. The motion was adopted by unanimous vote.

No action was taken on 10.e. or 10.f.

Agenda Item 11 Discussion and possible action regarding proposed amendments to 22 TAC 535.220, Professional Conduct and Ethics.

No action taken.

Agenda Item 12 Discussion and possible action regarding proposed amendments 535.222, Inspection Reports.

No action taken.

Agenda Item 13 Discussion and possible action regarding the 4 hour Inspector Legal Update Continuing Education Course and 4 hour SOP Review Continuing Education Course.

Comment:

Roy Carter

ACTION: The committee decided by consensus that EES Director, Jennifer Wheeler, would review current exam questions for the 4 hour Inspector Legal Update Continuing Education Course, see if there are any gaps that aren't covered for the new content, and work with committee members so they can provide feedback or suggested questions within a specified timeframe.  Deputy Executive Director Slagle informed the committee that work needs to begin on the 4 hour SOP Review Continuing Education Course so it will be ready in the next 24 months.

Agenda Item 14 Request for future meeting agenda items

ACTION: The committee discussed the possibility of committee members ordering lunch for future meetings and asked staff to provide the mock-up for the Consumer Protection Notice as discussed in Agenda Item 7.

Agenda Item 15 Discussion of future meeting dates

ACTION: The next meeting is scheduled for October 7, 2019, at 10:00 a.m. at TREC Headquarters.

Agenda Item 16 Adjourn

ACTION: The meeting was adjourned at 1:39 p.m.