Skip to Content

License Holder Search

Meeting Details

04/18/2016 at 10:00 am
Stephen F. Austin Building, Room 170
1700 North Congress
Austin, TX 78701

Meeting Materials

Meeting Video

TREC Inspector Committee

These minutes set out the agenda item, the subject matter discussed, and any action taken on each item. To hear the full discussion on any agenda item, click on the link, and you will be taken directly to that section of the meeting video on the right side of the screen.

Note: While the written portion of the minutes below are published in agenda order, the commission may have taken items out of order.

Agenda Item 1 Call to order.

The Chair called the meeting to order at 10:09 am.

Committee members in attendance:

Steve Rinehart (Chair), Barbara Evans, Brad Phillips, and Lee Warren.

Bill Jones (Commissioner).

Committee Members attending via telephone:

Doyle Williamson, Matt Hart, and Bryan Woods.

TREC Staff in Attendance:

Douglas Oldmixon (Executive Director), Kristen Worman (Deputy General Counsel), Tony Slagle (Government Affairs, Michael Molloy (Staff Attorney), Mark Moore (Director, TREC SES), Jennifer Wheeler (Education Manager), Mike Sample-Deal (Education Specialist), and Gwen Jackson (Director ELS).

Members of the public attending:

Roy Carter (Champions).

Members of the public attending via telephone:

Stan Harbuck(A School for Better Inspection) and Paul Roebuck (TPREIA).

Agenda Item 2 Ratification of the minutes of the February 1, 2016 meeting.


COMMITTEE ACTION: Lee Warren made a motion, seconded by Barbra Evans to ratify the video minutes of the February 1, 2016 meeting.  The motion was approved unanimously.

Agenda 3 General comments from visitors on non-agenda items.

No comments were made.

Agenda Item 4 Reports from Subcommittees.

Mr. Warren gave the SOP Subcommittee report.

No report was given for the Education or Enforcement Subcommittees.

Agenda Item 5 Staff reports from Administration & Management Services, Standards & Enforcement Services and Education & Licensing Services.

Reports were given by:

Michael Molloy, Standards and Enforcement Services.

Gwen Jackson, Education and Licensing Services.

Douglas Oldmixon, Administrative Management Services.

Agenda Item 6 Discussion and possible action regarding non-substantive revisions to 22 TAC §535.227-.233 (Inspector Standards of Practice).

Tony Slagle presented the non-substantive amendments to the SOPs to reorganize the SOPs and make them easier to read and follow.

Comments were made by Paul Roebuck, representing TPREIA.

COMMITTEE ACTION: Mr. Warren made a recommendation, seconded by Dr. Evans, to present the modifications to the SOPs to the full Commission for publication in the Texas Register. The motion was approved unanimously

Agenda Item 7 Discussion regarding the new statutory requirement that written permission of a seller be obtained prior to testing the hydro-static pressure of the water supply lines of a home.

No Committee action was taken.

Agenda Item 8 Discussion and possible action regarding appointment to fill vacancy on TREIC.

No Committee action was taken.

Agenda Item 9 Discussion and possible action regarding appointment of subject matter experts to writing committee Inspector SOP Ethics/Legal Update courses.

No Committee action was taken.

Agenda Item 10 Discussion and possible action regarding awarding CE credit to inspectors for attendance at TREIC meetings.


COMMITTEE ACTION: A motion was made by Mr. Warren, seconded by Brad Phillips, to give continuing education credit of 4 hours per renewal cycle, and no more that 2 hours annually to an inspector attending the full inspector committee in person. The motion was approved unanimously.

Agenda Item 11 Discussion regarding the National Home Inspector Exam (NHIE) pass rates and exam subject matter areas.


Gwen Jackson, Director , ELS, gave a presentation regarding inspector performance on the National Home Inspector Exam (NHIE).

No Committee action was taken.

Agenda Item 12 Request for future meeting agenda items.

A request was made for staff to draft a rule to allow CE credit for attendance at an inspector meeting.

Agenda Item 13 Discussion of future meeting dates.

The next meeting of the full committee was set for Monday, July 11.

Agenda Item 14 Adjourn.

The Adjourned the meeting at 11:55 am.