Legal Secretary (2011-14-TALCB)
Job Vacancy Announcement
Serve as a legal secretary in the Texas Appraiser Licensing & Certification Board’s (TALCB) Standards & Enforcement Services Division. Provides administrative and legal support for the division’s attorneys, investigators and legal assistants. Work involves preparation and dissemination of legal correspondence, reports, and forms, processing of files through database system, serving as division receptionist and record management tasks.
Graduation from high school or equivalent is generally preferred. Experience and education may be substituted for one another.
- Minimum two years of administrative work experience OR clerical data entry experience.
- Work experience in data entry
- Work experience organizing, filing, and maintaining administrative documents
- Proficient computer skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat, and database programs
- Ability to organize, index and file legal and administrative documents; maintain record retention and filing systems
- Ability to plan, organize and work independently, as well as within a team environment
- Ability to adapt to change
- Ability to multi-task while delivering quality results in a timely manner
- Ability to work effectively in high-pressure situations under strict deadlines with extreme attention to detail
- Ability to communicate effectively in a professional manner and deal with industry stakeholders and the public
- Ability to quickly learn the laws, regulations, and rules pertaining to regulation of real estate appraisers and appraisal management companies
- Knowledge of policies, practices, principles, procedures, documents, forms and legal terminology related to court system or the State Office of Administrative Hearings, including the administrative procedures act, the Texas rules of civil procedure and evidence
- Ability to research, analyze and apply statutes and rules
- Experience using VERSA database
- Knowledge of Texas Public Information Act laws and corresponding rules promulgated by the Texas attorney general
- Knowledge of the Texas Appraiser Licensing & Certification Act and Texas Appraisal Management Company Registration and Regulation Act and the Rules of the Texas Appraiser Licensing & Certification Board
- Provide administrative and legal secretarial support for the division’s attorneys, investigators and legal assistants. Process files through database system and prepare and disseminate correspondence, reports and forms,
- Primary receptionist for phone calls received by TALCB SES
- Review and process mail for division staff; schedule, maintain, and update appointment calendars detailing events
- Manage and process applicant background reviews, gather criminal history documentation/information, and assist attorneys in the review of applicant criminal history reports
- Coordinate the Peer Investigative Committee (PIC) process
- Coordinate the review appraiser contractor process for commercial experience audits
- Perform other duties as assigned
Resume and cover letter detailing how your experience fits the duties of this position
Employment is contingent on passing a criminal background investigation that will permit a candidate to access the Texas CJIS System.
Environmental & Physical Conditions: Normal office work environment, mostly sedentary in nature. May involve walking; standing; remaining stationary for long periods of time; pulling and pushing; kneeling, stooping and bending; and safely lifting and carrying items weighing up to 30 pounds. Work involves extensive telephone usage and repetitive hand/wrist/finger motions while using the computer.
Submit a complete (no blanks) State of Texas Employment Application along with a cover letter, resume, and DD-214 or DD-1300 (if applicable) to: email@example.com or 512-936-3547 (fax). Applications may be submitted via WorkInTexas; however, the additional documents must be submitted to Human Resources prior to being considered for an interview.
Skills test will be conducted at the time of interview.
Military Crosswalk Information: http://www.hr.sao.state.tx.us/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_Legal.pdf
Tawana Hood, Human Resources at 512-936-3604