Director of Finance (2002-26-SSS)
Job Vacancy Announcement
Texas Real Estate Commission and Texas Appraiser Licensing and Certification Board is seeking a professional Director of Finance to provide direct oversight of the accounting, purchasing and finance functions of the agency. The Director of Finance will serve as the chief financial officer for the agency and is responsible for ensuring compliance with state and federal laws relating to accounting and purchasing and maintaining internal controls to safeguard and effectively allocate agency resources. The position oversees the day-to-day accounting transactions, the tracking of revenue/expenditures and budgeting, and the submission of required reports. The position performs advanced, senior-level managerial work and works under minimal supervision with latitude for initiative and independent judgment.
Bachelor’s degree in accounting, finance, economics, public administration or related field. Preference given for an advanced degree with major coursework in management, finance, or a related field.
- 5 years full-time experience in progressively responsible fiscal management
- 5 years full-time management or supervision experience.
- Extensive experience developing and tracking budgets and expenditures
- Familiarity with Texas laws and rules for purchasing, accounting, finance, and reporting
- Extensive experience with state purchasing and Comptroller of Public Accounts requirements
- Significant experience with overseeing contract development and implementation
- Preferred experience with Uniform Statewide Accounting System (USAS) / Centralized Accounting and Payroll/Personnel System (CAPPS) for accounting transactions
- Ability to run day-to-day financial operations of a complex organization
- Ability to skilfully communicate in written and verbal form, including the ability to make presentations that explain complex concepts to a variety of audiences
- Skill in developing best practices for financial management and related fiscal policies
- Knowledge of governmental accounting and fiscal management, financial projection and estimation methodologies, and business process analysis
- Experience preparing annual financial reports, internal operating budgets, and similar documents
- Skill in Microsoft Office, including advanced Excel skills
- Ability to manage through diplomacy and gain the respect of others
- Ability to maintain effective professional relationships with personnel, policy makers and stakeholders
- Experience with Centralized Accounting and Payroll/Personnel System (CAPPS)
- Experience with MIP
- Experience with SDSI agencies
- Directs the budgeting process, with substantial interaction and engagement with appointed policy-makers and executive leadership
- Provides day-to-day oversight of accounting, purchasing, and budget functions and staff
- Ensures compliance with Self-Directed, Semi-Independent statute, Public Funds Investment Act, and state purchasing laws and requirements
- Directs the transition from USAS to CAPPS conversion (go-live FY21)
- Provides regular budget reports internally and to policy makers, both verbally and in written form
- Oversees space allocation and facility contract
- Oversees compliance audits from State Auditor, Comptroller, and internal audit
- Ensures statutory reporting requirements are met
- Cover letter that explains how managerial experience ties into this position
- College transcripts will be required after the job offer
- At least three work-related references from direct supervisors
Environmental & Physical Conditions: Normal office work environment, mostly sedentary in nature. May involve walking; standing; remaining stationary for long periods of time; pulling and pushing; kneeling, stooping and bending; and safely lifting and carrying items weighing up to 30 pounds. Work involves extensive telephone usage and repetitive hand/wrist/finger motions while using the computer.
Submit a complete (no blanks) State of Texas Employment Application along with a cover letter, resume, and DD-214 or DD-1300 (if applicable) to: email@example.com or 512-936-3547 (fax). Applications may be submitted via WorkInTexas; however, the additional documents must be submitted to Human Resources prior to being considered for an interview.
Applications will not be considered until all required documentation is received by TREC/TALCB.
Military Crosswalk Information: http://www.hr.sao.texas.gov/Compensation/MilitaryCrosswalk/MOSC_ProgramManagement.pdf
Tawana Hood, Human Resources at 512-936-3604