Inspector Reference Materials
From time to time, this list will be updated with educational and reference materials that might be of assistance to inspectors in Texas or to the education providers who develop materials or offer courses designed to prepare inspector license candidates, or to educate currently licensed inspectors to be able to do their job more professionally. The list is given to identify resources and does not constitute an endorsement by the Texas Real Estate Commission.
Examination Study Materials
From the PSI Candidate Information Brochure
Real Estate Professional Inspector & Real Estate Inspector
The following is a list of possible study materials for the Professional Inspector and Real Estate Inspector examinations. Use the latest edition available.
Core References: The following six references are used as the source materials for the examination questions. The examination may also include questions on general knowledge or concepts not specifically noted in any of the listed references, but that are considered necessary basic information for an Inspector. The list is given to identify resources and does not constitute an endorsement by PSI or by the Texas Real Estate Commission.
- International Residential Code (For One- and Two-Family Dwellings), 2006, International Code Council, 5203 Leesburg Pike, Suite 600, Falls Church, VA 22041, (703) 931-4533, www.iccsafe.org
- NFPA 70 - National Electrical Code or The National Electrical Code Handbook, 2008, National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), 1 Batterymarch, Quincy, MA 02269-9101, (617) 770-3000, www.nfpa.org
- Principles of Home Inspection: Systems and Standards, 2003, Carson Dunlop, Dearborn Home Inspection Education, a division of Dearborn Financial Publishing, Inc., 30 S. Wacker Drive, Chicago, IL 60606-7481, (800) 824-8742, ISBN 0793179351, www.dearbornRE.com
- Texas Occupation Code, Chapter 1102, Real Estate Inspectors, Texas Real Estate Commission, PO Box 12188, Austin, TX 78711-2188, www.trec.texas.gov, www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us
- Rules of the Texas Real Estate Commission, June 1, 2004, Texas Real Estate Commission, P.O. Box 12188, Austin, TX 78711-2188, www.trec.texas.gov
- Deceptive Trade Practices Act, Texas Business and Commerce Code, Sections 17.42 through 17.5, www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us
Optional References: The three references listed below are NOT used as source material for the examination questions. However, you may find them helpful in your preparation for the examination. The list is given to identify resources and does not constitute an endorsement by PSI or by the Texas Real Estate Commission.
- One and Two Family Dwelling Electrical Systems, 5th Edition, International Association of Electrical Inspectors (IAEI), 901 Waterfall Way, Suite 602, Richardson, TX 75080-7702, (800) 786-4234, ISBN 1890659312, www.iaei.com
- Builders Guide for Hot-Humid Climate, 2002, Joe Lstiburek and Betsy Pettit, Energy & Environmental Building Association, 10740 Lyndale Avenue South, Suite 10 West, Minneapolis, MN 55420, (952) 881-1098, Catalog # AE-4615, www.eeba.org/bookstore
- International Residential Code Commentary, 2000 or 2003, International Code Council (ICC), 5203 Leesburg Pike, Suite 600, Falls Church, VA 22041, (703) 931-4533, www.iccsafe.org
Page last modified: 11/2/2011