Inspector Reference Materials
STUDY GUIDE REFERENCE LIST FOR TEXAS INSPECTOR EXAMINATION APPLICANTS
Neither the Texas Real Estate Commission (TREC) nor Pearson VUE specifically endorses any particular study materials for the real estate examinations; however there are some suggested materials listed below for each type of real estate examination. The study materials should be the latest edition of the listed textbooks and should cover the topics referenced within the content outlines.
- The Illustrated Home, Carson, Dunlop & Associates, Ltd. (2003).
- Essentials of Home Inspections Series, Carson, Dunlop & Associates, Ltd. (2003).
- Principles of Home Inspection Series, Dearborn Publishing
- International Code Council (2009). International Residential Code for one- and two-family dwellings, 2003. Falls Church, VA:
International Code Council.
- International Code Council (2009, 2012). International Residential Code.
- National Electrical Code (2008, 2011)
- Journal of Light Construction. Field Guide to Residential Construction,
Vol 1, 2 2003 - 2005
- Taunton Press, Code Check series:
- Code Check Complete (2007, 2012)
- Code Check: A field guide to building a safe house (2007)
- Code Check: Plumbing and Mechanical (2011)
- Code Check: Electrical: A field guide to wiring a safe house (2008)
- Code Check: A Field guide to building, plumbing, mechanical and electrical codes
- Texas Occupation Code, Chapter 1102
- Rules of the Texas Real Estate Commission,
- Deceptive Trade Practices Act, Texas Business and Commerce Code, Sections 17.42 through 17.5
From time to time, this list will be updated with educational and reference materials that might be of assistance to inspectors in Texas or to the education providers who develop materials or offer courses designed to prepare inspector license candidates, or to educate currently licensed inspectors to be able to do their job more professionally. The list is given to identify resources and does not constitute an endorsement by the Texas Real Estate Commission.
Examination Study Materials
From the Pearson VUE Candidate Handbook
Page last modified: 8/27/2014